The CEO of Kraken, Jesse Powell, has responded to Mykhalio Fedorov – the Vice Prime Minister of Ukraine, who asked cryptocurrency exchanges to downright ban Russian users from their platforms.
- As CryptoPotato reported yesterday, the Vice PM of Ukraine asked cryptocurrency exchanges to halt servicing Russian customers.
- The CEO of Kraken – one of the most popular US-based crypto trading venues, took it to Twitter to issue his response.
- Jesse Powell said that he understands “the rationale for this request but, despite my deep respect for the Ukrainian people, Kraken cannot freeze the accounts of our Russian clients without a legal requirement to do so. Russians should be aware that such a requirement could be imminent.”
- He explained that said requirement could be instituted by their own government and gave an example of what happened in Canada.
- However, Powell also touched upon the fact that many of the crypto holders on his exchange are likely to be anti-war.
Bitcoin is the embodiment of libertarian valus, which strongly favor individualism and human rights. In Canada, crypto was the only financial rail left for those who opposed the regime.
Binance Free $100 (Exclusive): Use this link to register and receive $100 free and 10% off fees on Binance Futures first month (terms).
PrimeXBT Special Offer: Use this link to register & enter POTATO50 code to receive up to $7,000 on your deposits.
Download MAXBIT Android App, Your best source of all crypto news!
Share this article: